It is vital for our cause, community and branding that Marilyns adhere to our dress code and wear the approved signature Marilyn wig, white Marilyn swimsuit and dress style. The information and videos on this page will help you get the look.
If this is the first time you have been a Marilyn your registration fee covers the cost of your wig. Your Marilyn Maker will organise your wig for you. If you have been a Marilyn before you should already have a wig, if not please contact your Marilyn Maker. Please ensure that you have picked up your wig before swim day as things tend to be busy on the day! It is useful to try it on and have a little play at styling it before the swim. If you have long hair it is much easier to put your wig on if you put it back in a plait or plaits or a low, loose bun. Label your wig with your name to prevent it getting lost or mixed up on the day.
If you are wearing a wig from a previous year you may wish to freshen it up:
- Use a wide-toothed comb to detangle the dry wig hair. Gently rake the comb through the hair from the ends to the roots to separate strands.
- Dampen the synthetic hair with lukewarm or cold water. Avoid using hot water, which can damage the hair fibres.
- Squeeze a small amount of baby shampoo or other mild shampoo into the palm of your hand. Using your fingertips, spread the shampoo through the hair from the roots to the tips. Let the soap remain on the wig for a maximum of 5 minutes to make sure the soap permeates all the strands of the synthetic hair.
- Rinse the hair with cold water several times to remove any soapy residue. Do not brush or comb the synthetic hair when it is wet.
- Apply a small amount of conditioner that is formulated for synthetic hair to your hand. Apply the conditioner to damp strands from the roots to the tips. Let the conditioner remain on the hair for a maximum of 5 minutes. Rinse the conditioner from the hair using cold water.
- Pat the hair dry with a large towel to remove as much water as possible. Let the hair air-dry naturally. Do not use a blow dryer; the heat may damage the delicate strands permanently.
Please apply your own make-up base (concealer/ foundation/ powder), blusher and bronzer and eyeshadow (but not eyeliner or mascara) before you arrive. Bring your own waterproof mascara with you to apply after the make-up artist has completed your eyeliner vintage flick and beauty spot. Then use the lipstick bar to apply the perfect shade of Marilyn red lipstick (provided at the bar). If you have your own lipstick make sure it is the right red (not too orange and not too pink). More info on the Marilyn make-up for the big day is in this video.
Marilyn’s white swimsuit is an iconic part of the Marilyn Jetty Swim. Sarah Tinney has a range of white bathing suits available for sale. Please contact Sarah on 0432 541 157 to organise a time to try one on. If you would like to source your own suit please remember it needs to be all white and have a halter neck. All Marilyns need to wear white bathing suits as opposed to white bikinis. You may also wear a plain white sarong around your waist if you are feeling modest. Bring your inflated, labelled swim ring with you to Dunluce Castle on the day.
Shore and Strummer Marilyn
You can source your own dress or hire or buy one from Costume Land. The iconic Marilyn dress is white with a halter neck.
Shoes are needed for the parade down Jetty Road to the beach. These need to be white, red, blue, silver or gold. It is up to you whether you prefer to wear flat shoes or heels. The walk to the beach takes 10 minutes and is all on pavements. Please make sure you are comfortable making this short walk in the shoes you choose. Shoes and sunglasses are kept at the Cancer Council SA tent for safekeeping during the swim.
Your registration fee covers the cost of sunglasses. Please ensure you have picked up your sunnies from your Marilyn Maker.
Wear as much bling as you wish – but remember it will get wet if you are a swim Marilyn. Do not bring any valuable jewellery or watches with you on the day. A pair of Marilyn sunglasses to parade down Jetty Road is included with your registration cost.
A fake tan is a great way to make you look extra glamorous in your white costume. Studio 807 is offering to donate $5 towards our Cancer Council fundraising goal for every Marilyns that has a tan. Just mention you are a Marilyn when you book.